Kristina Tauchen: a champion in many ways

Vanessa Edwards, Staff Writer

Did you  know that one of our counselors is a State Champion basketball player? Find out more about this and other interesting facts about this person:

Ms. Tauchen was born and raised in Ladysmith, a small, beautiful town in northern Wisconsin. When she was younger, her parents separated, but even afterwards, they still continued to do things together, like going to family gatherings and spending holiday time together. It’s clear that family and fellowship are very important to Ms. Tauchen. 

Attending a very small school, with a graduating class of only 50 students, Ms. Tauchen enjoyed her education because everybody knew each other and grew up together. In a way, it provided another sense of unity and fellowship. That really was the case when it came to her biggest activity during those years: basketball. 

Having played since 2nd grade, when she was a senior, Ms. Tauchen and her team won the Wisconsin State Tournament for basketball. Her teammates were her best friends because they played together for so long, and it was one of the defining reasons for their success. 

School was definitely a place she loved being. She didn’t struggle through school. Ms. Tauchen liked spending time with her friends and was comfortable in academic situations. She liked her teachers as well as the learning they shared. As a result of this, the thought of working in the field crossed her mind, but she had her doubts; in fact, Ms .Tauchen didn’t plan on becoming a teacher; however, education runs in her blood. 

As Ms. Tauchen was growing up, her mother worked in the school. Her grandmother was also a teacher. Her sister and her cousin are teachers as well. Initially she thought that this line of work wasn’t for her. Instead, she started college as a journalism major and thought that she would edit books. Then she pretty quickly realized that it was not the right fit for her, so she switched her major to psychology, the field in which she earned her degree. It took her just three years to get her bachelor’s degree from the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. Ms. Tauchen graduated quickly because over the winter and  summer she would take extra classes.

After graduation, Ms. Tauchen thought she would focus on becoming a mental health therapist in the community. However, all the activities she liked doing were with kids in a middle school or a high school setting. That’s when she accepted the notion that had been in the back of her mind all these years: she would work in education. 

While doing her post-graduate work, Ms. Tauchen knew when she sat in her first class that counseling was for her. She even texted a close friend and told her that it was what she wanted to do. While in grad school, she worked for a student housing company. Then she took a year off and worked at a domestic violence shelter. While there she was able to spend time with kids, doing activities with them, helping them deal with problems, and teaching lessons about healthy relationships at local middle schools. Doing this helped her figure that she wanted to work in a school. In fact, after earning her degree in Counselor Education (School Counseling) from Winona State University, she became a school counselor. Prior to coming to Rochester, Ms. Tauchen worked in Marshall, Minnesota, for six years at a traditional high school and an alternative school.

When it comes to a career in the field of education, the main thing that inspires Ms. Tauchen has always been working with the students. The nicest thing about being a counselor is having the chance to get to know kids more individually, more in-depth because they meet with her one on one. She loves to see the growth in her students. For example, when she worked at the alternative school, she recognized how students could struggle in the big high school and worked with them to succeed. It has always made her feel good  to see them graduate from school, especially when a student didn’t think they could. 

Although new to Mayo High School, Ms. Tauchen is not new to Rochester; she had to take classes at RCTC while pursuing her graduate degree. As a result, her familiarity with the city has made moving back easier. She said that Rochester is a bigger city than Ladysmith. She likes it because she enjoys the convenience of stores like Target and Kwik Trip. She chose  to move to Rochester because the school district is very strong, with a very solid reputation. 

Regarding Mayo High School, Ms. Tauchen feels really good about the counseling team. The school is a lot bigger than anywhere she has been before. When she worked in Marshall there were about 850 students, and she thought that was big. Then she came here where there are nearly 2,000 students. All the students that she has met so far are really great, very friendly, and the families have been welcoming and supportive. The staff members that she has been working with have been really nice and welcoming as well. 

If she could tell the Spartan community one  thing she would say, “It’s okay to struggle with something, and it’s okay to ask for help – right now especially, since we haven’t been in school, in-person for a while.” Many more people are struggling  with things, and she wants everyone to know that there are resources out there, that it’s okay to acknowledge if you need something.

When not at work, Ms. Tauchen likes to spend time with her dogs, but she also likes to read a lot. When she is able to, she also likes to visit with her nieces and nephews. Her main hobbies outside of work are cooking, writing, and photography. She really wants to learn how to play guitar but hasn’t taken the time to get into it, so if any of you know how to play and want to give her a few lessons, stop by Ms. Tauchen’s office.

In Rochester, she is hoping to go on trails, “on a pretty walk.” She  likes all music, but her favorite is classic rock from the 70s and 80s. One thing that Ms. Tauchen wants us to know is that she really enjoys her job as a counselor and is looking forward to getting to know students and providing them with the resources they need. She is open to anybody coming in about whatever; no request is too small or unimportant. Sometimes students think that they shouldn’t  ask a question, because it’s a waste of time, but Ms. Tauchen is truly here for students.          

The main thing that we students must remember about her is that the next time we have a staff vs students basketball game, we have to make sure we are heavy on defense against Ms. Tauchen!