Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Superintendent Listening Post

Mayo Girls Hockey 2024 Season Recap

The Mayo girls hockey season has had their ups and downs these last couple years. Winning seasons, losing seasons, losing their head coach, injured players and much more. This season the girls have been 50% wins and losses, with an overall record of 10 wins, 12 losses , 2 ties and got 5th in the Big Nine. The most energetic and physical game is always when they play the cross town rival, Century/JM. Unfortunately this year the girls only played them once, early in the season. Mayo girls won 5-0 in a very emotional game for the seniors because they have been playing with or against many of the Century/JM girls for years; this was most likely the last time that they’d all be out on the ice together. 

The girls senior hockey captain, Andrea Augeson, discussed the season’s positives, explaining that “our team has grown so much and become like a big family. In the locker room, bus rides, and just generally around the team has been so much fun this year.” She explained how much she enjoyed her last season. According to Augeson, the five seniors graduating this year, Claire Seims, Alivia Haakenson, Layla Rippentrop, Elle Roth, and Cassie Arendt, have played together their whole lives. It will be a sad adjustment for them to no longer play with their teammates and friends after being together for over eight years. 

In a game against Century High School, Grace Kober blocks a shot.

Junior Grace Kober has been the team’s goalie for the girls Mayo hockey team for four years. With a nod to the progress the girls made this year, she has started to think about next year, saying that “the team has developed a tone just this last season. We put in a lot of work on and off the ice to get where we are now. I am very excited to see where next year takes us as a team. We have very talented and strong new players coming to the team next year as freshmen.” Another junior, Natalie Campbell, who plays defense for the team and has been on the team for six years said that “the Mayo Girls Hockey team has always been a big part of my life. I made lots of friends and memories. The team made lots of progress this past season.  I was so happy to be part of the team this year and help out the team to bring wins instead of losses.”

Senior captain Claire Seims fights for the puck against a Century defender.

Assistant coach Brad Berg always motivated and helped move the girls along after a loss by saying “put it in the rearview mirror.” They ended their season in a close, physical loss to Farmington, 3-0. It was a very emotional game for the seniors, who were so grateful to be part of a great, memorable season, and they were so glad that they got to play with each other for one more year. 

Photos courtesy of Post Bulletin