Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Superintendent Listening Post

Ava Miller signs for USC Upstate Women’s Basketball

After ending the 2023-2024 basketball season, Ava Miller signed her letter of intent to continue her career at the University of South Carolina Upstate in Spartanburg. Multi-sport student athlete Ava Miller is a committed and truly phenomenal player and an enormous asset for Mayo Girls Basketball, as incredibly, she scored over 1000 game points overall in her varsity career. She finished this past, remarkable 2023-2024 season with 507 points, averaging 18.1 points per game with 326 rebounds, 55 assists, 67 turnovers, 37 steals, and 44 blocks. Her other stats include scoring a 63% success rate of two pointers, and making 18 out of 54 attempted three pointers. She additionally shows amazing accuracy from the free throw line making 99 out of 145 shots, and her field goal percentage is 58%. 

Facing tough opposition, Ava Miller goes up to score another basket against a Farmington defender. Photo courtesy of Post Bulletin

With an immense breakthrough during her high school years, Ava Miller was quickly seen by coaches and students alike as a standout player. Her fast reflexes and persistent work ethic were recognized and applauded:  she’s noticeably a go-getter.  Miller led her team to an amazing season, reaching the section semifinals.

Miller has an outstanding motivation to keep playing when things get tough, and a desire to continue improving. It is noticeable on and off the court. As Miller concludes her four years at Mayo High School, she will be continuing her basketball career at the University of South Carolina Upstate, in Spartanburg. “I am excited to keep playing basketball. It’s one of my favorite things to do, and I can’t let go of it yet,” Miller said. Although she has no ties to the “Upstate” area, Miller chose this college in the deep south because, “the coaches and the team were welcoming. I love the campus, and the basketball program is a great fit for me!”

In Mayo’s home game against John Marshall, Ava Miller drives on her opponent. Photo courtesy of Post Bulletin

Born into a family with two older siblings who also grew up playing basketball. Miller developed a knack for the sport at an early age. She has played on teams since the second grade. It all started when she began going to the Rochester Athletic Club, playing with her dad and siblings, but her love for basketball became competitive in the fourth grade when she started playing on a competitive team. 

To Ava Miller, basketball is more than just a sport. “I always hope to strive to be better on offense and on defense and for my teammates and everyone else,” Miller said. Despite her success, she  still remains humble and kind. On the court Miller’s skills are always notable with being a  defensive player and good as guarding the basket. 

As she goes forward onto the next chapter of her career in women’s basketball, one thing is certain: Ava Miller is a rising star who will continue to be a tremendous asset for the next team to come. “It’s fun to play, but it’s [also] fun to get better,” Miller said. Without a doubt, Ava Miller’s future is bright, and things will only get better for her.