Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Superintendent Listening Post

Mayo Book Club an easygoing democracy

“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies… The man who never reads only lives one.” – George R.R. Martin

Mayo High School’s Book Club is a fantastic opportunity to connect with a community of people who love to read. Claire Wirt, a student leader of the club, describes it as “a great way to meet people with the same interests.” One of the Book Club’s primary goals is to make reading enjoyable by creating a space where everyone feels welcome and free to share their opinions. 

The group reads a wide variety of genres, ranging from old classics to futuristic novels. When it comes time to decide which book to read, everybody gets to suggest ideas and vote. Another student leader of Book Club Eva Timimi likes to describe it as a “democracy.”

Book Club is a very low stress environment, with an easygoing pace. The members try to read one book every month or so. If there is a movie adaptation of the book idea, everyone watches it together when they finish reading the book. Each week there are new discussion prompts relating to the chapters that were assigned the week prior. The discussion prompts include questions about characters, themes, the plot, or parts of the book that people loved or hated. There are no right or wrong answers, and everyone is encouraged to be a part of the conversation. 

Book Club is an awesome way to expand your knowledge of literature and meet some amazing people! Meetings are held every Wednesday morning at 7:40 in Ms. Alexander’s room (2-239A). Come check it out!