Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Superintendent Listening Post

Mayo’s F.C.A. gets reestablished

Mayo’s chapter of The Fellowship of Christian Athletes (F.C.A.) has been brought back, reestablished. This student-led club focuses on uplifting one another through the word of God. The F.C.A. is a space that not only brings athletes together but also shares fellowship with all followers of Christ. Connecting with fellow Christians and athletes is the club’s focus, expanding the bonds created through spiritual and athletic encouragement. Isaac Ahn, the club’s Vice President, shares his vision for the club: “I am really passionate about my faith, as well as golf. I believe that my faith should be at the center of everything including golf. F.C.A. aligns with this belief, so I want to create a community where kids can have fellowship under this belief. It is also the only Christian Club at Mayo, making it a great place for Christians to come and be with other Chrisitans. Additionally, it provides a place that can provide non-Chrisitans with answers about Christianity.”

Although the name of the club indicates being a Christian and an Athlete, neither is a requirement to attend club meetings nor to be a club member. “The F.C.A. welcomes everyone; whether you are Christian or not, it is a place for everyone to feel safe and enjoy time with friends while building new relationships,” explained President Ekong Dere, who encourages everyone to come to a meeting and meet new people. The executive board strives to create an environment where everyone is welcomed with no judgement at all. 

The history of the F.C.A was short lived at Mayo. Although it had many members while it previously operated at Mayo High School, the club was disbanded two years ago due to inactivity. Determined to bring back a lost community at Mayo, five students came together to reignite a passion within the student body. Ekong Dere is the sophomore who decided to bring the F.C.A back to life. “I decided to start up the F.C.A. again because I wanted to feel a sense of community at this school. I know a lot of athletes that are Christian and non Christian who need a space to just feel this sense of community as well as to find a place to have fun, meet Jesus, and let go of the stressors that sports and life create for you,” Dere said.

Restoring a community at Mayo that builds deeper relationships is not an easy task. Rebuilding a club from the ground up, enabling it to achieve a status of a reputable club comes with time; however, since its “interest meeting” three weeks ago,  the weekly meetings have been packed. 

Starting off with a quick prayer and discussion, the meeting then transitions into a more laid back time. Games can be seen going on throughout the room, ranging from Mario Kart all the way to Uno. Snacks and good company are guaranteed when you come to a morning meeting, which are held every Tuesday at 7:35 am, in room 2-240. If the lively environment is not enough to convince you to stop by, maybe the donuts will persuade you to join in on the fun.