Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Superintendent Listening Post

Meet Officer Jackson

As we say goodbye to Officer Smith and the year 2023, we welcome Officer Jackson. Cameron Jackson was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin but lived in Chicago when he was young, before spending a big part of his life in Edina, Minnesota. He grew up with his mom, dad, and a sister and brother who are twins. He says they “keep my life interesting.” Some hobbies he enjoys are reading, riding his bike, and watching movies. He has also been trying to learn to crochet, which, he says, isn’t going very well.

Officer Jackson did not initially intend to be a police officer. After Officer Jackson graduated college, he worked in the insurance industry for about five years as an insurance salesman. However, he came to realize that he did not enjoy that profession, so he went back to school to study law enforcement, and has now been a police officer for just under three years. He says he loves that “every day is different.” He particularly likes how he is able to “interact with a lot of different types of people, and help them out and make a difference.”

Although Officer Jackson did not take the route of being a police officer his first years in college, he had always had a passion for education. He took many classes for education, worked in summer camps, and volunteered in daycare programs throughout high school and college years. He says that “helping guide and mentor the next generation has always been important to [him],” so when a position opened up at Mayo High School, he decided to interview, which led him to being with us today.

While Officer Jackson enjoys working at Mayo, he says coming from the Patrol Division to working in a high school has been a bit of a challenge for him. He says that “it’s a very different pace.” When on patrol, he would go from call to call, dealing with serious incidents that are often the worst days of some people’s lives. Now, working in a high school means that he deals with different situations, many of which are very positive, as he works with students and staff going about their everyday lives. 

One example of this involves his first impressions of the school. Officer Jackson began his training during the GOFA season. He says that it was “amazing to see how everybody came together for a good cause and supported one another and the staff.” So far, he is very impressed, believes that we have a wonderful culture, and cannot wait to be a part of it. When you are on the first floor, by Nurse Becky’s office, stop in next door and say “hello” to Officer Jackson.