Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Superintendent Listening Post

Loi Shah wins Poetry Out Loud Competition

Poetry Out Loud (POL) is a national arts education program that aims to promote appreciation for the study of poetry among high school students. Free educational materials help students deepen their understanding of the literature as well as encourage them to expand their knowledge of great poetry. 

Showings of the poetry that is learned and practiced are held throughout the summer and the school year. These showings help students hone their public speaking skills, while also showcasing the talent present in the high schools in Rochester. The POL program has been offering competitions in Rochester for four years; each year various students from Rochester attend the regionals and even the nationals for the literature competition. 

The material performed is hand selected by the student from the POL anthology; these are pre-approved poems that the organization allows to be recited at the showings. There are a variety of poets whom students can choose from, such as Natalie Shapero, Linda Gregg, Nour AI Ghraowl. This gives the student an opportunity to select a poem best suited to their skills. 

Although many student performances have already come and gone, the most recent was held on Tuesday, January 30th, at the Rochester Civic Theater. Students from Mayo performed, including Loi Shah, Phoenix Zahnter-Yocom, and Zephyr Zahnter-Yocom. The three winners on the night were Loi Shah, Thalia Kohler, and Julia Grandilone; the latter two are seniors at Century High School. According to Lisa Higgs, one of the directors of the area’s Poetry Out Loud organization, Mayo’s winner Loi Shah is “headed to regionals in Zumbrota on Feb 13. The state competition will be held on March 1 in Mankato.”

Back Row: Oisin Ellis (Century), Phoenix Zahnter-Yocom (Mayo), Zephyr Zahnter-Yocom (Mayo), Loi Shah (Mayo), Annabelle Krpata (Century), Liberty Strenke (Century)
Front Row: Isadora Kohler (Century), Julia Gradilone (Century), Thalia Kohler (Century), Rowan Vercnocke (John Marshall)
Photo courtesy of Lisa Higgs and the Poetry Out Loud Team