Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Superintendent Listening Post

Muslim Students Association hosts the Fourth Annual Iftar Celebration

Invite your loved ones, spread the word about the upcoming Iftar night, and embrace the spirit of Ramadan. The Rochester High School Students involved in the Muslim Students Association (MSA), as well as others from around the district, look forward to an evening of cherished memories, community, and reflection. Students have planned and led this community event for the past three years, and it has been a huge success every time. Their commitment and dedication has resulted in an increased number of attendees from all around the city. Every year, from September up to the time of Ramadan, students have been able to raise funds for this event. According to Yahye Ahmed, the moderator of MSA, “This event is successful because of the unconditional support we get  from the Mayo Clinic, United Way, SASSA, Somali Resettlement Organization, local mosques, parents, other community members and the hard work of our MSA students.” 

Iftar is a meal in which Muslims break their fast at sundown. When the day’s fast comes to an end, the call to prayer (Adhan) announces the time for Iftar. These gatherings help Muslims feel more connected to one another, sharing feelings of gratitude and community. The breaking of the fast begins with water and dates, followed by a variety of traditional foods. Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar, and is considered the holiest month in Islam. This month is observed by Muslims all around the world as a period of fasting, prayer, reflection, and community. In Ramadan Muslims refrain from food, drink, smoking, and sinful behavior from dawn until sunset. “Ramadan teaches us to be patient, it teaches us self control and self discipline,” Sheikh Salah Mohamed said. 

The event will open in the auditorium, where there will be knowledgeable speakers who will talk about important topics such as Ramadan, mental health, and other significant aspects of Islam. Attendees can also expect a cultural experience with traditional Somali food that will be served in the cafeteria, accompanied by engaging activities led by students. The cafeteria will be a place for interaction. For deeper connections and understanding, the attendees can get to know the students by participating  in “get to know me” and “ask me” sessions. Iftar night is an opportunity for educating Muslims and non-Muslims about the importance of Ramadan while promoting mutual respect and understanding between communities, so clearly, all are welcome, and there is no charge for admission or the meal. “It is the MSA club’s goal to be the bridge of our communities and educate people about Islam,” Yahye Ahmed said. We hope you’re able to come and join us this Saturday, March 16 from 6 to 8 p.m. at Mayo High School.