Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Superintendent Listening Post

Reach new heights with the Mayo Climbing Club

This week, Mayo will become the third local high school to have its very own climbing club. Led by veteran climber and Mayo teacher Mr. Dan Parker, The Mayo High School Climbing Club (MHSCC) offers the perfect opportunity for students of all skills to learn to climb. “The club will likely be made up of everyone from beginners to those already climbing at a competitive level, and everyone in between. [It] is open to all skill levels, even those with zero experience,” Mr. Parker said. 

Charmian Van Buren climbs at the recent competition at Roca. Photo courtesy of Scott Bacon

The Climbing Club is holding its introductory meeting this Thursday, March 7th, at 3:30 in room 2-305. The details of the club will be explained in depth there.

The club was started by Mayo students Charmian Van Buren, Annika Cmiel, and Quinn Carlson, when they saw the success of other climbing clubs and felt inspired to create their own at Mayo. With the help of Mr. Parker, the MHSCC was born. 

Quinn Carlson moves rapidly at the recent Roca competition.  Photo courtesy of Scott Bacon

The MHSCC has partnered with Roca Climbing and Fitness, who have graciously allowed the club to use their gym in pursuit of expanding the sport. In addition to access to their facilities, Roca is offering a special deal for MHSCC members. While a Roca membership usually costs $89 a month, they have agreed to the MHSCC exclusive rate of $59 a month. There are no commitment fees, and you can participate on a month-to-month basis. Not only does this grant you access to the club and climbing gym, but it also includes equipment rental, and provides a discount in the pro shop.

Student life can be rather busy, which is why the climbing club works to support you by providing larger group climbing practices as well as individualized practices. If you can find a partner with a similar schedule, you can create your own practice days and times. MHSCC group lessons will expose new climbers to the sport and allow you to work with the professionals at Roca to take your skills to the next level. Starting with the basics of top rope and bouldering, climbers can work towards more advanced climbing techniques, styles, and difficulty levels. Once you’ve learned the techniques, you can practice to your heart’s content at whichever times work for you.

All you have to do is show up in room 2-305 at 3:30 this Thursday. If you can’t make the introductory meeting, you can send Mr. Parker an email at [email protected] and he will be happy to assist you. The MHSCC offers an exciting proposition for Mayo students, a commitment-free and affordable way to get into the exciting sport of climbing. We hope to see you all at Thursday’s meeting!