Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Mayo High School's Online Forum

The Advocate

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Superintendent Listening Post

Mayo’s Newest Organization: Amnesty International Club

The Amnesty International Club is a new organization on campus whose mission is to educate people about civil rights, spread awareness, and write appeals for people abroad. The club’s publicist Lina Gu explained that it “started around late October and early November. It’s still kind of a baby.” Some other members include the club’s president Nyla Grantham, vice president Aisha Qureshi, Katherine Bradley, Morgan Fuglestad, Olivia Gamst, Sophia Kozlowski, Etif McIntosh, Aisha Qureshi, and Carmel Villarama. 

Nyla Grantham is the club’s president.

Amnesty International is a worldwide organization that was founded in 1961. The main office in the UK and Amnesty International is a global non-governmental organization that advocates for human rights. The organization has over ten million global members and supporters (Amnesty International). Lina Gu explained that the organization’s goal is to “promote a world in which every person enjoys all of the human rights and other international human rights instruments.” The organization is frequently mentioned in the media and by international leaders because of its significant impact and influence on human rights issues. The club wants to bring all this to Mayo High School to foster these ideals here. 

Amnesty International has accomplished many things in their campaign. They fought against the unjust incarceration of immigrants and asylum seekers and got them liberated, and those looking for protection were welcomed into new homes in the United States. They were successful in gaining the public support required for the UN Convention Against Torture to be signed. They created the international support required to establish the International Criminal Court and pushed for the U.S. Tribal Law and Order Act, passed as a result of their research and tenacious advocacy, putting an end to the widespread sexual assault of American Indian and Alaska Native women (Impact | Amnesty International USA). For more information about the global organization, you can go to their website (Amnesty International).

(L-R): Carmel Villarama, Morgan Fuglestad, Olivia Gamst, Jade Aakre, and Mr. Johnsrud

Since February is Black History Month, Amnesty club is hosting a movie night to celebrate. The date for the movie is February 27th, and they are partnering with Mayo’s Black Student Union to host The Hate U Give. The movie is hosted in the auditorium. The movie starts at 7:15 and doors open at 7. Concessions will also be available at the movie for purchasing. They are working on donating the proceeds to small black-owned businesses.

Since the Mayo branch of this organization has just started, they are still working on gaining new members. If you are interested in joining, see the advisor Mr. Johnsrud for details in room 2-123, or better yet, attend one of the many meetings, which take place every other Monday after school from 3:30 to 4:30. Even though the group is launching they still have many plans for the future. Check them out on Instagram @Mhs.aic.