Parking lot problems coming to an end

Stanimir Yovchev, Staff Writer

A few poorly parked cars were the harbingers of the pandemonium that was to ensue in the school parking lot. These were the kind of vehicles that occupied two spaces or sat diagonally across a row of spots. Gradually, the situation escalated and the parking lot became a hotbed of abysmal parking jobs. Cars were haphazardly parked on curbs, grassy patches, and even sidewalks. The situation was rapidly deteriorating, and chaos seemed to be the only constant. Then, out of the blue, an Instagram account appeared on the scene, capturing this eccentric behavior. The account went by the name of “bad_mhs_parking” and it quickly amassed a following of over 700+ followers.

Many were perturbed by the spectacle that unfolded before them in the parking lot. It was a crowded and congested affair even before the emergence of the vehicles parked haphazardly. However, the situation was swiftly spiraling out of control, and the Instagram account only served to exacerbate the commotion with its comedic underpinnings. The photographs on the account elicited laughter and mirth, enticing students to crave more and more of such displays, exhibiting the nonchalance of certain students towards proper parking decorum at Mayo High School.

Despite the escalating chaos, mishaps never materialized. Incredibly, the popularity of the Instagram account, “bad_mhs_parking,” continued to skyrocket as snowy caps inhabiting our parking lot started to melt. 

The staff’s remedy for this issue will come in the form of a renovation of the parking lot, eliminating potholes and adding vividly repainted parking lines. Assistant principal Mr. Bacon mentioned that “we are starting renovations to the parking lot by painting new parking lines and fixing up potholes at the beginning of this summer to make it safer for students to park.” 

Will Stoner expressed his faith in Mr. Bacon, stating that “having this renovation will be perfect, since I can now park my PT Cruiser without going through potholes and causing damage to my wheels.” Similarly, Wes Strain mentioned that “the school is finally taking action, and now I can walk in the parking lot without falling into one of these scary and hurty [sic] potholes.” He went on to add that “they are mostly an inconvenience to students.” Clearly the upcoming renovations will bring our school and its parking lot a new degree of safety, beyond just making the place look much better.