Free flu shots Wednesday in the Auditorium

Macyn Hayft, Staff Writer

Attention all Mayo students looking to get a flu shot, now is your chance! On Wednesday, September 21, Mayo High School will be holding a flu clinic from 11:00 am to 1:30 pm in the auditorium. It is free of charge, and by getting a flu shot, you will be helping prevent the spread of the virus throughout our school!

The flu is a very contagious respiratory illness that infects the throat, nose, and sometimes the lungs. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, the flu virus spreads when an infected individual talks, coughs, or sneezes onto another person. It can also be spread when a person touches a surface or object that has the flu virus on it, then proceeds to touch their face. 

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention also states that about 8% of the United States population gets infected with the flu virus each year. Researchers also found that children under the age of 18 are twice as likely to be infected than older adults. Based on these findings, it is clear to see that schools will have increased infection rates.

The majority of students attending school are under the age of 18, and according to an article written by the Minnesota Department of Health, schools are hot spots for influenza to spread. In the article, they recommend various things, such as frequently washing your hands and cleaning surfaces to prevent the spread. The main recommendation they give is to get vaccinated yearly.

By receiving the flu shot, you are helping to reduce the risk for you and those around you from having to experience a grudgingly long, and uneventful sick day. When experiencing flu symptoms, a person will be bombarded with headaches, fatigue, and chills. A fever and a cough are also incredibly common symptoms. One will also experience the dreaded stuffy nose when infected with the flu. 

As stated earlier, the flu shot will be available at no cost in the auditorium from 11:00 am to 1:30 pm on Wednesday, September 21. By participating in the flu clinic, you will be saving yourself from hours of makeup homework and missed sports and activities. Having a flu clinic at the school helps save the time of scheduling an appointment to get the shot, and the money to pay for it. Just five minutes of your lunch period can save days worth of suffering. Come to the auditorium on the stated date and time to have a happy and healthy flu season.