The 1920s are roaring at Mayo High Schools 2022 Prom 

Julian Pegram, Staff Writer

Ready to go back in time to the roaring ‘20s? Mayo High School will be hosting its roaring ‘20s themed prom on May 14, 2022. This lavish event will be held at The International Event Center near the Rochester Airport. The ladies can fit into the theme by wearing things such as flapper dresses, long pearl necklaces, and cardigans. Gentlemen can fit into the theme with clothing like pintail striped dress pants and tailcoat suits or jazz suits. 

All juniors and seniors are invited to attend, with or without a date. Unfortunately, as is always the case, this year’s prom will not allow for underclassmen. To be accurate, if a sophomore is invited as a date, then he or she is welcome to attend; however, freshmen will have to wait until they are a little older. The capacity at The Event Center is 450, which is why the staff make sure that the upperclassmen get a chance to attend as priority. 

Although getting ready for the big dance is quite a production, having been the chairperson for 12 years, Mrs. Carter has the details of prom preparation down to a science. “We start planning in January for this event. We want it to be an exceptionally memorable event for the kids. They deserve it, so we take lots of care when deciding on details,” Mrs. Carter said.

Several of the Prom Committee members explained their roles on the prom committee. Their jobs are leadership related. I spoke to George Charnin and Nathalie Rojas, and found out what they do. Nathalie Rojas focuses on advertising, posters, and social media; aside from her many other responsibilities, she is in charge of getting the word out about the dance and other activities related to the prom. George Charnin helps with tickets, decorations, and keeping track of purchases. Besides these two devoted Spartans, the other members of the committee, Gabby Henderson, Dariah Du, Jordan Timbeross, and Sadie Gonzalez, all have helped create a very special event for our school.

The chair of the Prom Committee, Diana Carter, explained many details that students will need to know before attending. First, the cost for the event is $65 per person. Tickets are on sale the week of May 9th near door 6 during all lunches. According to Mrs. Carter, the cost includes a “fantastic DJ, catered dinner, a space to dance, a photo booth, a secure venue and a lot of fun!”  

Students need to be at The Event Center by 6:30 for the dinner, because they will stop serving by 7:30; it is a buffet style catered meal. Dancing will start at 8:00pm and continue until 11:30 pm. Students MUST have a picture ID and paper ticket in hand to enter the dance. 

Parking at the Event Center should be plentiful. Be aware that there is no valet and that students are responsible for items that they bring with them, so everyone should keep their vehicles locked and secured. There is not a coat check area at the facility. 

Mrs. Carter also reiterated that this is a school event, so expectations regarding conduct and respect for others are the same as they are at school. There are no school-sponsored after parties, so students need to make sure that they have a safe way home, starting at 11:30. 

Formal attire is recommended, but not required. The most important thing about the weekend’s festivities is that you have fun and make plenty of memories with your friends and classmates.