Bowlers hope to throw a post-season strike

Cameron Stenzel, Staff Writer

As the 2019-20 season and the conference rolloffs have ended, eight of the greatest teams for varsity and junior varsity in the Southeast (West) conference, are advancing to state. The defending state champions, the Mayo Spartans, won the conference rolloffs and continue on in regional competition, while the Mayo JV finished in second place. The JV team will not be challenging for a state title after struggling with their scoring average. 

This year the Mayo bowling team has a total of eleven members, led by seniors Aziza Moore, Josh Dominick, Zach Dukart and Cameron Stenzel. Their weren’t any juniors, but the team had one sophomore, Jared Dalluge and three freshmen, Jordan Timbeross, Dalton Omarro and Bryson Watts (see photo). Finally, three middle schoolers, eighth graders Wyatt Honecker and Ben Condon and seventh grader Isaiah Sample rounded out the lineup.

Although there will be a loss in leadership when the seniors graduate, many young team members are developing the skills needed to fill their shoes in the years to come. Bryson Watts, a first year bowler, explains that “I was nervous at first when I joined the team, [but] after a while I got used to competitive bowling.” He also mentioned his highest score was a personal best of 278 during youth league. So far this season the new guys have been amazing. Solid performances from Watts, Dalton Omarro, Isaiah Sample, and Ben Condon have helped the team earn victories during the regular season. 

Last year, the Mayo High School varsity bowling team won the conference rolloffs and advanced to state to compete with other teams. In that tournament the Spartans fought hard and won the championship. So it is clear that the team is earning a great deal of respect from other schools while the team leaders set the tone and inspire the younger members, just like some of those former players did, who went on to play at the college level, including Mike Bigalk and Michael Pyse, graduates of 2019, and Amber Torvund, a graduate of 2018. Michael Pyse went to Weber International in Florida, helping that team win the 2019 Men’s National Championship. Mike Bigalk went to William Penn in Iowa but is now playing baseball for them. Finally, Amber Torvund went to Adelphi University in New York and was awarded the East Coast Conference honor roll and earned a spot on the National Tenpin Coaches Association all academic team. 

Currently, our varsity team will be continuing to practice for regional and state tournament on Tuesday and Wednesday at Bowlocity Entertainment Center. This weekend the varsity team will travel to Shakopee Bowl to compete against the top 20 teams in the AA South regional tournament. The top 12 south teams advance to the state tournament against the top 12 from AA north regional winners. The state tournament will be held at Garden Center Lanes in Alexandria Minnesota on December 8th. All the varsity will compete in the all conference tournament November 30 at AMF Southtown in Bloomington Minnesota.