Homecoming Parade marches your way Friday 

Riek Riek, Staff Writer

The Homecoming parade is an event that Mayo does every year, on the day before the dance. They do the parade every year because it is part of a long-standing tradition that has gone on for decades. Mr. Gathje remembers being in the parade as a student in the late 1980s, when he was in the Top 5, and Mr. Kiefer, who used to work here as a P.E. teacher for 15 years, was the Homecoming king in 1975, and he can be seen in that yearbook, riding a parade float. So clearly, the parade is a tradition that celebrates our school spirit and announces to the city that all Mayo graduates need to follow the parade and come back home to our school.

On Friday, October 4th, the Homecoming king and queen we be announced and students will be dismissed from school at 1:00pm. Following the parade, will be the big cross town rival football game against John Marshall at 7:00.0Mayo students and staff will bring their decorated vehicles and floats to the Fairgrounds, near the Graham Arena. The parade route will stretch from 16th Street by the Fairgrounds to the Mayo High School student parking lot. Anyone who wants to participate in making a float can; they just need to have a vehicle with decorations and someone at least 18 years of age who is not a Mayo student to drive the float. To reiterate – if you plan to have a float,  you will need to have it at the Olmsted County Fairgrounds by 3:30 on Friday, October 4th. 

If you are on a float, then make sure to bring lots of candy to throw because there will be children following the float the entire route, screaming for goodies and treats. As a spectator, the place to go is where the route starts just before 4:00. There are groups of students that walk to the Fairgrounds, but if a student doesn’t have a crowd, then hopefully they can join some students  walking along. Another thing that spectators can do is find a spot along the route and wait for the parade and join as they make their to Mayo High School. This event is solely based for the enjoyment of Mayo students, staff and the community so as Spartans let’s be respectful to others, be great role models to the youth and have fun!