Bound to Flip: Nov. 1st last day for gymnastics registration

Kathryn Sawallisch, Staff Writer

Are you looking for a sport to participate in at Mayo High School this winter? The Mayo Girls Gymnastics team is reaching out to any and all students that would like an opportunity to gain strength, endurance, and be a part of a team to sign up today! Sign ups are taking place right: go to the Mayo High School Athletics website, and the link to register online is located when scrolling down. You must do this soon, because November 1st is the last day registrations will be open!

When trying out, you must have an updated physical, showing that you are able to handle the demanding workouts and strain on your body. Good gymnasts have to have an open mind to trying new things. The coaches accept everyone from advanced gymnasts to people who have never tried the sport before. Tryouts will take place from November 12th to the 15th at Gage East which is located on 40th street NW Rochester. Everyone who ties out will make it onto the gymnastics team, so you will not have to worry about being cut. Your ability, based on the level of difficulty, technique, consistency, attitude and effort will determine if you are on varsity, junior varsity, or the C- team.

A unique characteristic of the high school gymnastics organization is that since the team lacks members and the sport requires a lot of extreme equipment, all three Rochester schools practice together within their designated ability group. We have five amazing coaches who divide their time, effort and creativity, helping to make the whole organization work effectively. They have been able to come up with many unique ways of keeping the schools separate while still joining us as a whole. Yes, John Marshall and Century may be our biggest competitors as the season approaches, but during practices they become our best friends who challenge us to perform our best.

Photo caption:

Last February, eleven teams in southeastern Minnesota lined up for team introductions at the start of their section finals in Red Wing, Minnesota.