Mayo Girls Hockey season preview

Maddi Lutz, Staff Writer

The girls hockey season is in full swing; the girls are five weeks into the season already and are doing better than last season. Last year the girls finished 5th in their division, just one below their first opponent this year, Northfield. Brooke Leone, Megan Adair, Eryn Fjelsted and Devynn Priest were the team’s leading scorers last year.  

However, at the end of that season, the team only lost two seniors. This year there are 11 new girls to the team, including senior Maeve Cameron, who took a year to study abroad in India last year. There are eight new freshmen players as well.

Junior captain, Alexa Hruska is “excited to see how the season will go, now that there are so many new girls out for the team. We have a lot of returning players, so I think it will be a successful season! I’m excited to work hard, and have a great year with my team.” Alexa is the only junior on the hockey team this year.

Senior captain of two years, Brooke Leone is starting her final year of Mayo Girls Hockey, and her spirits are high; “the first practice suprised me with how much positive energy there was and all the effort the girls put in! I’m hoping the year will be this team’s best year! We could possibly win the Big 9 title if we all play to our potential, and that would be the greatest thing to end my high school career with!” Brooke is one of the 12 graduating seniors this year two of which are managers.

Before the game on November 16th, the girls dedicated the night  to Shannon O’hara. New merchandise was available from the Shannon O’hara foundation, and all four Rochester girls high school hockey teams were on the ice together for a special presentation. All youth hockey players were able to get in free if they wore their jerseys and had a paying parent with them.

Since the beginning of the season Mayo Girls Hockey has won four games and lost two. Brooke Leone is so far this year’s leading scorer, with eight goals. She scored a hat trick (3 goals) against cross town rivals John Marshall, and scored five goals against Austin. Maeve Cameron scored her first goal of the season during the Austin game. Maggie Augeson, a freshman scored her first varsity goal during the John Marshall game.