Mayo Spartans take on a winter food drive

Erika Cruz, Staff Writer

As winter approaches, it becomes even more important to support our Spartans and to make sure that our students have all the necessary items to keep warm during the season. The Support Our Spartans (SOS) room has been built by Mayo staff and students to serve students and families in need with basic supplies.

Recently, the Junior class council has been working on putting together a food drive to collect supplies in the SOS room for when the harsh winter arrives. When speaking with Junior Class President Gwen King-Lunde, a volunteer at the SOS room, she says that “The SOS room is a place where students can go to get items they are in need of free of any cost. If a student can’t afford clothes, or hygiene products they are more than welcome to stop in the room and pick up what they need.”

The food drive will begin the following week on November 6th and go until November 9th. There will be dress up days associated with each day of the food drive to show our school support and remind people of the need to participate in the drive.

Bins will be located at the main entrance, Door 6, throughout the week, so all Spartans should take food items and winter clothing there!

Food Drive days include:

Monday (11/6) – Wakeup Call Day (PJ day)

• Oatmeal, cereal, pancake mix, deodorant, and other morning, wake-up items

Tuesday (11/7) – Winter’s Coming Day (Snow day)

• Winter coats, hats, mittens, hot chocolate mix, and anything else related to getting cozy on cold days

Wednesday (11/8) – Feeling Fruity (Hawaiian day)

• Canned fruit, fruit snacks, dried fruit, apple sauce, or anything else that is non-perishable but fruity or tropical like Hawaiian shirts

Thursday (11/9) – Protein Day (Jersey/Muscle Show day)

• Canned tuna, peanut butter, beans, beef jerky, assorted nuts, and anything related to fitness, including sports clothes