Celebrating 50 Years of Homecoming

Marcus Mack

This year is the 50th anniversary of Mayo High School’s Homecoming. There are many different exciting events going on throughout the week. On Monday, the dress up day is 50’s polka dots; Tuesday is 70’s tie dye. On Wednesday we wear 80’s neon. Thursday finds us in 90’s denim, while Friday tops it off with spirit day. Each day shows our school’s creativity, sense of humor, and love of Mayo.

On Friday there is also a shortened schedule because Homecoming coronation starts at 1:00 p.m. During the coronation, drum line, band, and orchestra perform music to inspire the spirit of the students. There are friendly competitions between grades, which all students are encouraged to participate in. Finally, the homecoming king and queen are crowned. At four, the parade will start at the fairgrounds. The Mayo marching band starts off the procession and sporting teams decorate floats and walk through the Mayo neighborhood throwing out candy. The parade ends at Mayo. Also, there is a 50th anniversary social hour at 4:30 p.m for alumni to meet and remember the good times they had at Mayo. The homecoming football game is at 7:00 p.m after all the celebrations. We play Mankato West and it is a spirit out. The student section will be filled with green and gold. On Saturday, October 1st, the homecoming dance starts at 8:00 p.m and goes to 10:00 p.m. Join the celebrations this week!