Girls Aren’t the Only Ones Facing Appearance Expectations

Maggie Mynderse

We often see girl’s insecurities broadcast in the media, but what about boys? The peer pressure that boys face in their everyday lives’ are not generally discussed and seem to be more difficult for people to talk about. In our student body, many boys are affected by the expectations posed by the media. These pressures not only stem from the media but also from other students at MHS. To decipher the myths behind body pressures for boys at Mayo, here is a look into the lives of two students, both male and female, and their thoughts on body expectations.

Senior Zac Reeves was the perfect person to ask about the expectations of boys at Mayo. Zac frequents the Rochester Athletic Club and believes that body pressures for boys are just as prevalent as those of girls but are not as publicized. Zac said,”There are a select few guys that worry as much as or more than some girls but those guys are generally the ones who put the pressures on themselves.” When asked what his thoughts are on what fuels body pressures for male students at Mayo, he responded saying, “I think the media, because people look at pictures of guys with the “ideal” body on Twitter and think that’s how they should look.” The media is not only displaying images that cause girls to question how they look but also boys. Stars such as Zac Efron and Michael B. Jordan display the epitome of how boys should look. While it may not be as openly expressed, males are just as affected by the broadcasted expectations.

Although Sr. Felicia Zhang is seeing the peer pressures boys face in high school through a different lens, her thoughts are quite similar to those of Reeves. Felicia Zhang is active and devotes much of her time to skating and working out. When asked how much she thinks boys are affected by peer pressures at Mayo, Zhang responded, “Although boys facing peer pressures may not be as noticeable or they don’t express it as much, everyone at mayo is affected by body expectations in some way. A lot of girls recognize boys are facing the same types of pressures as they are but girls are more critical of their own gender.” Zhang’s thoughts differed from Reeves slightly about what exactly triggers body pressures for boys. Zhang stated, “In the beginning media has a big effect on everyone, but I think it roots a lot in your surroundings and is for sure fueled by the opposite gender.” Felicia stated that overall body pressures have a strong presence for both genders, but for girls it’s often addressed more.

Body expectations at Mayo High School have a major presence in the everyday life of students, whether it be boys or girls. By discussing the pressures of each gender equally, we can work towards eliminating the struggle of attaining the “ideal” body image for both male and female students.