Top 10 Study Tips

Top 10 Study Tips

As the end of first semester is approaching quickly, tests may seem to be happening more quickly and the homework is piling up. Finding the motivation to study for classes is becoming more difficult. To help maintain focus throughout the rest of first semester, it may be useful for students to apply new study techniques. “I list everything I need to get done and focus on one thing at a time,” Sophomore Isabell Wright said when asked what her favorite way to study and accomplish tasks for school is. The end of the semester may be overwhelming but with new study tactics, studying may be more attainable and not as stressful.

1. Start out by studying the most important information. You don’t want to focus on the little details that you know won’t be shown on the test. Focus on aspects that you need to most work on and information that you know will be a large part of your test.
  2. Study right before bed. During sleep, our brain strengthens new memories so there is a greater chance we’ll remember what we review right before falling asleep.
  3. Space it out. Don’t try and memorize everything in one go. Allow yourself the chance to chunk together important information, and space it out throughout the day.
  4. Study with people who are serious about getting work done. Work with people who are truly devoted to studying and won’t be distracting.
  5. Move around. Studies have shown that when you allow yourself to move to different areas while studying, you have a greater chance of retaining your facts!
  6. Listen to relaxing music. Music such as classical or jazz can relieve some of the boredom associated with studying.
  7. Take notes and write down a summary of the most important ideas and topics. If you rewrite or rephrase the information you have been exposed to at least once, the memory is more likely to be solidified and you will be more familiar with the main ideas and even the details of the topic you’re studying.
  8. Talk it out. One of the greatest studying strategies is talking out loud the information you are studying. Voicing your information allows your brain to sort the information into two different spectrums: both the seeing and the hearing. It may be a good idea to leave the library if you are planning on doing this studying tip!
  9. Find a comfortable and quiet place to study. Avoid noisy and busy areas that may be distracting and cause you to lose focus. It is also helpful to make sure your study area has good lighting.
  10. Quiz yourself. Putting yourself to the test before the actual test will allow you the opportunity to see what you are confident in, and what you need to continue working on. The harder it is it remember in practice, the better chance you have at remembering the fact during the real test (as strange as that sounds).