The Advocate

‘Tis the season for GOFA

Back to Article
Back to Article

‘Tis the season for GOFA

Brianna Cookman, Staff Writer

Do you want to see science teachers smash raw eggs on each other’s heads? Are you interested in getting questions taken off your final? Wouldn’t it be fun to play a schoolwide game of tag? Can you believe that you’re raising money for a charity simply by sending a singing telegram that embarrasses your friend? Then GOFA season is the time for you.

GOFA means Give One For All and is a month-long fundraiser in December at Mayo High School. All the proceeds go to the Rochester Women’s Shelter as well as the Dorothy Day house. This time of year is beloved by all students;, the atmosphere all around school is filled with excitement with all the activities going on. Their are so many different activities and ways you can get involved. The Mayo Advocate will be covering all the activities going on this month, including bingo, paranoia, dancing with the Spartans, penny wars, and so many more.

These activities aren’t only just for fun; while getting involved, you will be generating money for the Dorothy Day House and Women’s Shelter. The Dorothy Day House is a shelter for the homeless here in Rochester, providing a temporary place of rest, safety, and comfort for people to stay when they have nowhere else to go. The Rochester Women’s Shelter provides services for women who may have come from abused situations or who just need a warm meal or a place to stay. Both of these services are well deserving of the money we donate, and they are the true reason we host the season of GOFA.

Getting involved is so easy; you can ask any of your teachers about ideas they have for in-class fundraising. Beyond that, read more articles on Mayo Advocate about other activities. Make sure that you go to the pepfests where student government members will describe events coming up, or just ask any student government member in the hallways about opportunities to get involved. In 2017 we raised over sixty thousand dollars and hope to raise even more this year. It will take all of us making an effort, getting involved, and having a great deal of fun in the process, so come out and be a part of this season of giving.