Mayo Stage Door’s Fall Musical: Mamma Mia!

Kristen Lee, Editor

Fall is upon us, which means it is the season for Mayo Stage Door’s annual fall musical! This year’s production will be the wildly popular jukebox musical Mamma Mia! by Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus. This light and sunny tale unfolds on a Greek island paradise. Featuring songs by Swedish pop sensation ABBA, Mamma Mia! tells the hilarious story of young Sophie Sheridan’s very interesting wedding and her search for her birth father. The magic of ABBA’s timeless tunes propels this story of love, friendship, and laughter, generating a spectacularly unforgettable show.

Mayo Stage Door members have been rehearsing vigorously since the beginning of the school year. Cast, crew, and pit members have put in hours of work, meeting nearly every day after school. “It is a very large time commitment, but this is very rewarding because the amount of effort everyone puts in really shows during performances,” says senior Anna McGeeney who will be playing the lead role of Sophie Sheridan. Anna has been involved in many of Mayo Stage Door’s productions, playing the role of Alice in last year’s spring play Alice in Wonderland. The musical will include lots of singing, dancing, and acting, and the cast has been expanding their skills in these areas under the direction of Ms. Monson and Mrs. Humke in preparation for the upcoming performance. In addition to the work of the cast members, crew members have been working on lights and sound, props and sets, and costumes. The pit orchestra has been rehearsing diligently as well, including the talented musicians of Mayo High School directed by Mr. Cole. All of these areas will come together for the show, creating a stunning production full of glamour, music, and fun.

The shows will take place on November 15 through 17 at 7:00 p.m. and on November 18 at 1:30 p.m. Tickets are currently available for reserved seating through www.ShowTix4U.com. First come, first serve tickets will be available at the door, cash or check only. Ticket prices will range from $9 to $12. Come watch for a night of singing, dancing, and dazzling entertainment!

A daughter, a mother, and three possible dads. Mamma Mia! is one trip down the aisle you will never forget. You are invited!