Debate: Will History Repeat Itself?

Ryan Olson, Staff Writer

Mayo High School’s Debate Team is gearing up for a new season and looking to replicate last year’s success, when the team placed first in the MSHSL Classic Debate Tournament, winning the Governor’s Cup for the first year in Mayo’s history.  Prior to Mayo’s victory, Eastview High School had held the governor’s cup for 14 years straight.  Speaking to the Rochester Post Bulletin after the team’s success, head coach Kevin Lund remarked  “I can tell you that it’s one of the most gratifying experiences I’ve had in my life…These young people work so hard and were so well-prepared that the state championship was extremely well-deserved.”  Kevin Lund, a Mayo graduate himself, is entering his 14th year coaching the Mayo Debate Team.

However with a new year comes a new topic, and according to senior Jared Baudoin this year’s topic presents challenges for the team. He says, “The topic is outdated,” referencing the new resolution which asks whether the United States government should pay reparations to African Americans for historic injustices. While Jared says he would prefer a more current topic, he remains “open to hearing more arguments and ideas” surrounding the new resolution.

Ready or not, the first debate tournament is fast approaching for the Spartans, as they host the Rochester Mayo Invite on October 8th.  Each two person team will debate four rounds, two on each side of the topic, as the Spartans hope to defend their title.

Having the support of the Mayo High School community would surely motivate these team members to do their best. If you want to witness rhetorical skills at their best, come to the cafeteria at 9:00 am on Saturday, October 8th. Come see if history can repeat itself, as the Debate Team kicks off its 2016 season.