Chipotle “Chips” Into Mayo Students Daily Routine

The burrito chains convenient location and reasonable prices make it a hot spot in town.

Chipotle Chips Into Mayo Students Daily Routine

Breckin Grinnell, Staff Writer

From Burger King right down the street, to Potbelly’s downtown, the students of Mayo High School have been to almost every restaurant in the city at some point during their lunch hour. Many students prefer to leave campus for lunch because they want to get away from the school atmosphere, have a good time with friends, or even to get “better food”. Out of all the restaurants in Rochester, however, there seems to be a common favorite between a lot of students at Mayo: Chipotle!

“It’s great food, quickly ordered, and close to school.” Junior Carter Benike said, as he was getting ready to leave for lunch during 4th hour. A common negative amongst students during lunchtime is the cost of food at certain restaurants, because not everyone plans on spending 7-10 dollars on food for 5 days a week. An average lunch at Chipotle is about 7 dollars, although this depends on the ingredients in either the custom made burrito, bowl, or taco. As chicken is the cheapest meat selection at Chipotle, students often select it to save a little bit of money, compared to steak, which is an extra 70 cents; that adds up over time! Mayo students also claim that the steak is too chewy compared to the chicken, which is very smooth and tastes better. Don’t want steak or chicken? Check out Chipotle’s Menu.

A subliminal competition between North and South Chipotle has risen amongst tons of students across the city. Mayo students tend to claim that the South location is much better, and John Marshall students claim that the North location is better, which seems to correlate with the location of the school the students are attending (JM is on the North side, hence siding with the closest one to them). Chipotle also includes an opportunity to sign up for text messages that offer certain deals to get some money off of an order, or even an “on the house” deal! You’ll have to be lucky to catch a text, though, because the texts only come out every few days, and eventually expire, of course. If you’re ever pondering what to enjoy during your lunch hour, and the school cafeteria isn’t cutting it anymore, take a trip to Chipotle with your friend, or a bunch of friends. It’s a 3-5 minute drive, and you can never go wrong with a stacked burrito, chips and some guacamole.